Title: Investment Manager (GESI- Gender Equality and Social Inclusion) – Mogadishu or Nairobi
Duty Station: Mogadishu/Nairobi, with some travel to other federal member states in Somalia.
Type: Fixed-term (12 months with the possibility of extension)
Application Deadline (extended): 16th January 2019 (midnight EAT)
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
The Somalia Stability Fund (SSF) is a multi-donor fund working towards a peaceful, secure, and
stable Somalia. It offers Somali stakeholders a source of multi-year funding that can respond to
local needs and opportunities. The Stability Fund aims to contribute to enhancing stability in
Somalia through the following programmatic outputs:
1. Fault-lines for political conflict (FGS-FMS, inter & intra state) are identified and appropriately
2. Enhanced popular participation in governance, particularly for women and excluded
3. Increased government visibility and community engagement;
4. Reduced community vulnerability to conflict.
SSF’s investment portfolio requires an adaptive team of Investment Managers to manage the
Fund’s portfolio of investments, ensuring smart operations systems are employed to capture
and analyse risks and returns, the adoption of lessons learnt, and through the continuous
refinement of the investment design. An Investment Manager typically manages several
investments across Somalia, maximizing individual investment returns at an acceptable level of
risk. This role will be responsible for managing a portfolio of investments across Somalia. The
Investment Manager is also expected to support SSF with the development of strategy
documents and other analytical products.
Roles and Responsibilities
As Investment Manager, your roles and responsibilities are as follows:
• Manage the GESI (Gender Equality and Social Inclusion) portfolio of investments; main
point of contact for the investees
• Identify risks associated with the investment
• Manage the annual reporting cycle (narrative and financial)
• Undertake field visits to the operational area when appropriate or necessary
• Liaise closely with finance counterpart in managing the portfolio
• Perform ongoing M&E on the investees’ performance and technical application
• Ensure the investees are adhering to procedures and guidelines; provide input on
updates to procedures and guidelines
• Assist in implementing communications strategy where necessary; presentations,
stakeholder engagement etc.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Minimum of five years’ experience in designing and managing development projects
• Minimum of five years’ experience working in Somalia with a good understanding of
the local context
• Master’s degree in gender studies, political science, international relations, economics
or other relevant social science fields
• Previous experience in grants or contracts management
• Experience in risk mitigation and management
• Excellent writing, analysis and presentation skills
• Must be able to speak Somali
• Previous experience working with DFID is highly desirable
If you meet the above criteria please send a covering letter and your CV (maximum of 3 pages total) to firstname.lastname@example.org, referencing ‘Mogadishu Investment Manager’ in the title of your email.
Due to the large volume of applications, we receive only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.